Headbands are an incredibly versatile accessory that all women should have in their wardrobes! Headbands can be used to add extra style to an up do, make messy hair look great quickly, and keep your hair out of your face in a way that doesn’t damage it.
There are different styles of headbands like the turban, the sports headband, or the bohemian, but in this article, we will be focusing on wide headbands. For more information about other types of headbands or headbands in general click on the links above.
What Are Wide Headbands?
Wide headbands and extra wide headbands are probably the type of headband that you are most familiar with. Wide headbands can be worn in a variety of styles and made from a variety of materials. Wide headbands are ideal for their many style options and are great for daily wear. These headbands can be a complete circle with elastic or be open so that you tie the ends together. They can be one width all the way through or have a wide side that stretches out and a thin side that goes at the back.
When choosing the material, it is best to make sure that the headband is made from a satin or sateen fabric so that your hair is protected. Satin protects the hair from moisture loss, breakage, and frizz. Make sure you also choose a headband with a non-slip backing to ensure that your style stays in place.
Alternatively, you can choose a headband made from warmer and cozier materials. This is a great option for the winter months as it will help keep you warm while still looking stylish. You’ll want this type of headband to cover your ears and it is a great option instead of a hat, which tend to cause lots of frizz with curly hair. However, a warmer headband is not as protective of your hair as a satin one would be, so make sure to choose based on what your hair needs and what you will be using your headband for.
Why Wear a Wide Headband?
There are many reasons you may want to wear a wide headband as they are incredibly versatile and add style to any outfit. Here are a few ideas why:
1. Your hair is not cooperating! – Maybe you have been attempting an intense braid crown for the past 20 minutes and, for some reason, it just isn’t working today! You can easily grab a headband, put your hair into a topknot, and you have a simple, effortless look to conquer the day with. Save the brain crown for a day where you have more patience.
2. You don’t have a lot of time – It can take so long to get up and style your hair with a straightener or curler every morning. With a headband, you can create a cute look in less than five minutes. This is an ideal option for a busy girl who doesn’t have a ton of time to spend on her hair.
3. You are bored with your hair routine – Are you wearing the same styles day after day? With a couple of cute headbands in your closet, you can amp up your hair routine. There are so many different styles to create with your headbands and matching different colors and patterns to your clothes can add a whole new layer to your wardrobe with just a few new items!
4. You need your hair out of your face! – You are an active girl and you don’t want hair in your face all the time. If you play a lot of sports or do a lot of exercise this is a great way to protect your hair while you move your body. There are even headbands specially designed for sport to protect your heat-styled hair.
Style options with wide headbands are infinite and add a whole new layer to your wardrobe.
1. Simple – A classic, easy style is to just put on your headband, drawing all of your hair to the back. You can wear the headband right at your forehead or pull it back depending on the look that you are going for. This looks clean and put-together and is super simple. It is also fun to match your headband to your outfit to create a whole look.
2. Bangs Forward – Pull some of your hair to the front of your head and place your headband overtop to create faux-bangs. You can wear the rest of your hair down or pull it into a high bun or messy ponytail. Instant bangs without all the hassle that comes with taking care of them!
3. Updo – You can create all sorts of fancy updos with your hair and pair them with a headband. The headband can add some extra style to your hair to make sure that it is never boring. You can always consider a jeweled or beaded headband if you are going to a fancy occasion. Pair the look with some statement earrings and you’ll be turning heads!
4. Pineapple – Gather all of your hair to the front of your head and pin it up high. Turn your headband around so that the thin part is at the front of your head and the wide part is at the back. Widen the headband so that it covers the whole back of your head. This looks best with bright and bold patterns and creates a look from the front and the back!
Headbands look amazing with all types of hair, but they are particularly useful for curly, kinky or coily hair. Many women choose to wear headbands in bright African-inspired prints as they feel it can be a connection to their heritage. Headbands are such small items but they add so much style and variety to your wardrobe—so be sure to always have a couple on hand for bad hair days and to showcase your personal style!